Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Bienvenue G15!


I'm finally in Conakry at Peace Corps Headquarters. Accommodations are wonderful and the company is even better. The Guinean staff is as welcoming as I imagined them to be. I see a lot of my previous Tanzanian counterparts in many of them and it makes me even more sure of my desire to be here.
Today we spent most of it going through logistics regarding safety and health. Much of this information I've heard over and over again but it only shows how thorough Peace Corps is in stressing the significance of starting out the right way with a solid foundation. I'm a little bit anxious about tomorrow because we will be interviewed in French! If I have the time tonight I plan on writing a letter on how little French I know but how eager of a student I will be, but the Country Director's pool is looking very inviting.
Back to the wonderful accommodations, the Peace Corps headquarters is located right on the beach which is special because Guinea has little beach access but the available space is a haven.
The volunteers stay in a transit house that comfortably fits around 40 and has a library, kitchen, and tv room. I have a feeling that this is living the high life. The cuisine so far has consisted of the freshest baquettes and tea for breakfast, tasty rice and chicken for lunch, and a feast of fish, steamed veggies, and a potato salad for dinner. And don't forget my refreshment of choice...Fanta!
Right now I am enjoying high speed internet through a satellite connection. Oh and mom...I am really safe! There are security guards all around the compound and everyone who goes in and out has to walk through metal detectors. All this special treatment has been wonderful but honestly I can't wait to go out there in the real Guinea. I feel like I'm on lock-down for something like "Fat camp" except they're stuffing us with food!
We'll be leaving this Saturday and will be officially adopted by a Guinean family. At least one person in the family will know how to speak French and/or one of the three local dialects. I'm sure my family will not have the internet so I'll try to keep in touch as much as I can until then.

1 comment:

c. griffith said...

Ciara we miss you and it sounds like you are having a good time. Good Luck with the French!