Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reforestation Round 1






My village held it's first round of the reforestation project us AGFO volunteers are in charge of. Seeing that the rainy season is just starting, the ground is prime creating a perfect environment for my well nurtured babies I planted back in March. Le groupement des eleves, approximately 20 garcons helped plant over 600 trees in less than 4 hours. We went along the Niger, starting at a grove of trees that the Guinea-Mali NGO planted bout 20 years ago (good omen-inshallah!) and ended just past l'ecole primaire. Seeing the positive, well-informed, high spirited youth, the wise president of the district, my homologue the village griot, and a few other prominent village elders unite in their efforts calmed all my fears. People are aware of the importance of reforestation and will step up to make their community better. It excites me knowing that we addressed an area that needs it, which is basically my backyard. Now I can keep a close watch on which goat I'll be eating for dinner given that it touches one satiable leaf on my precious, fire-resistant Gmelina.

3 comments:

c. griffith said...

Good job!!!!! You are doing it!!!!!!

Nathan said...

Your project looks great!!! Please send my best to Moontaga (and tell him Ali Keita said cut back on the cigarettes!).

All the best,
Nathan Duncan (Ali Keita)

Unknown said...

awwwww! Yay Fadima. Yay M'fa. Yay Tiguibery!!!!